Translate

Thursday, July 9, 2015

The Search for that Blue Door and the Big Bear

"I'm also just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her."

Famous line from the movie Notting Hill back in 1999 starring Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts. Since my friend and I were planning to visit the Portobello Markets, we decided to kill two birds with one stone by walking around Notting Hill and searching for the house with that iconic blue door. 


Beautiful and opulent houses could be found within the area, making me feel as if I am about to meet someone rich and famous from just around the corner. With our trusty Google Maps opened, we were able to pin down its location (280 Westbourne Park Road)It makes me wonder however, how we would have fared if were just using an actual map of the place with no GPS, whatsoever...

We then proceeded to take some pictures amidst the looks we were getting from the locals. After all, to each his own, right?

Although we certainly had to be careful as there were people coming in and out of the house that would have made our photo session terribly awkward. 


Once we have digitally captured the moment for posterity, we started heading towards the Portobello Market. It was a Friday afternoon at that time so the market wasn't as busy and most stalls were already wrapping up for the day. The busiest time is during a Saturday and I would love to go back again just to experience it. 

Souvenirs such as key chains, magnets, and funky hats could be seen whether you look to your left or to your right. I also had the chance to have a glimpse on vintage clothing and accessories that deserved a second or a third look if only there was more time. But alas! People in the UK highly value having a work-life balance, which is actually a good thing if you think about it, but maybe not so much from the customer's end. 

Having some spare time to kill, we decided to go to Harrods, a high-end department store, known to be the largest in Europe. At least this store closes at 9 PM, giving us ample to time to explore.

Along the way to Harrods, my attention was entranced by a magnificent row of buildings that I couldn't help but take some shots. My cousin, who is an architect, would surely have loved it as well. 

Unique set of buildings on the way to Harrod's
Soon enough, we have arrived at our destination. 

Very accessible with the tube right beside it

Gorgeous structure of Harrods


As the place was very big, we decided to focus on a specific area. I wanted to particularly see the big bear and have a picture with it. As a full-time student, I knew that there wouldn't be any point to even attempt to window shop in that place so I was happy to just go and find the big bear. Besides, I was feeling nostalgic with my trip to Korea in 2012 wherein I got to visit the Teddy Bear Museum. Unfortunately, with the numerous stores and no expected help from the GPS, it took us quite awhile to find the big bear. When we couldn't take it any longer, we swallowed our pride and asked for help with the directions. The sales lady that we talked to was kind enough to show us the way. Sometimes (or should I say most of the time), we just have to accept the fact that we don't know everything and it's not a sign of weakness to ask for help. ;)

Finally found you!

Photo-Op with Mr. Bear

Wouldn't mind having one of these because I will forever be a kid-at-heart
A cool Egyptian themed area we passed by as we looked for the Big Bear
If you want to visit and explore Harrods for yourself, it is open daily from 10 AM to 9 PM with an address at 87 - 135 Brompton Rd, London SW1X 7XL .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...