Translate

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Hidden Gem in London

Desserts have always been a weakness of mine, something that I can rarely say No to. Despite being full from a meal, I have been a living proof that there is indeed always room for desserts. So when a friend of mine suggested that we go to a dessert place while we were in London, I did not hesitate to agree and join her.

Apparently, the dessert place has been recommended by her friend who has been living in London for quite some time. I found this to be actually a good strategy whenever exploring a new place. Don't just be contented with known tourist destinations since they would most likely be crowded or overpriced. Instead, talk with the locals and discover from them their own personal recommendations or where they would usually go to for food or to hang out.

Upon arriving at the place, there were plenty of seats to choose from. At first, it had me worried because the lack of people can sometimes allude to a not-so-good food or service. But then I decided to just have an open mind and be reminded that this not the usual tourist spot and the time that we were there was still within the normal working hours.

The place specializes in pancakes so even though I was more of a waffle type of girl, I decided to try their specialty. And boy they did not disappoint! As soon as the server was heading our way, my eyes got huge and could not help but exclaim that "Wow! Their pancakes are sooooo big!". It was my first time to see such a huge pancake served in an equally humongous plate, that I immediately thought that my friend and I should have shared instead. They also had not just one scoop of vanilla ice cream as a topping, but they had three mouthwatering scoops! And when I sliced and had a first taste of the pancake, I just have to close my eyes and savour its deliciousness. Any thoughts about calories or exercise have been temporarily thrown away.

Who can go wrong with apple, cinnamon and vanilla ice cream?


The combination of sweetness and a bit of sour taste from the apples was amazingly perfect to keep any sweet-lover happy. Although the pancake was big, it was thin enough that finishing by yourself is not such as huge feat despite what the people sitting next to us may be thinking otherwise. (based on the looks of disbelief they were giving us)

My friend also ordered her own pancake: Banana, Nuts, Chocolate Sauce with vanilla ice cream on top, which was equally delightful. Both are orders cost GBP8.50 each, which I think was not bad given the satisfaction that we have gained.

Because I didn't anticipate how big the pancake was, and I haven't had my lunch yet (I'm not just making excuses...haha), my friend and I also shared some toasted nachos with melted cheese that included guacamole, aoured cream and salsa sauce amounting to GBP4.95.

Feasting like there is no tomorrow

Many minutes later, with our bellies full and smiles on our faces, we were able to finish the food on our plates except for some nacho leftovers.

So if you happen to be in London, be sure to drop by at My Old Dutch and experience for yourself the yumminess of their food. No bookings are needed unless you are a very large group or you would want to hold an event at their place. They currently have three branches at Holborn, Kensington and Chelsea, and they are relatively easy to find with the help of Google Maps. Happy exploring!

131-132 High Holborn
Holborn
London
WC1V 6PS
Tel: 020 7242 5200

221 Kings Road
Chelsea
London
SW3 5EJ
Tel: 020 7376 5650

16 Kensington Church Street
Kensington
London
W8 4EP





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...